Mercedes Samudio, LCSW is a parent coach, speaker, and author who helps parents and children communicate with each other, manage emotional trauma, navigate social media and technology together, and develop healthy parent-child relationships. Over the course of her career, she has worked with adoptive families, foster families, teen parents, parents navigating the child protective services system, and children living with mental illness. Mercedes started the #EndParentShaming movement as well as coined the term Shame-Proof Parenting using both to bring awareness to ending parent shame. Mercedes is a leading parenting expert and has an amazing following on social media that allows her to reach the hearts of thousands of parents who feel heard and seen on their parenting journey. She has been featured on The Huffington Post, US News and Report, Woman’s Day, LA Parent Magazine, CBS LA, and Kids In The House. Mercedes seeks to empower parents to believe that they are already great guides for raising healthy and happy children.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Mercedes’ background
- Recent research on child development that provides insight into raising ‘healthy humans’
- What is driving parental fear in raising healthy humans?
- The research on emotional attachment and how this predicts growth into healthy humans
- How much is enough when it comes to ‘controlling’ your children
- Finding your unique parenting voice and how it can help you combat shame
- Why conflict is so important in the parenting journey
- The importance of realizing that you’re raising a human that has to be capable of functioning without you
- Teaching kids how to get their needs met
- Being curious about what your kids are interested in and why this matters
- Giving yourself the space to figure out what really bothers you
- Why you need to understand what’s appropriate for your child